Since fall is my favorite season (for weather, clothing, and shopping), I always end up with a big wishlist. I want things that will truly be workhorses, whether they're statement items or not. The wish list - all black (or black denim) except as noted.
- skirt (denim, wool, whatever; slightly below knee; could be A-line or pencil).
- denim shirt
- versatile cardigans
- boyfriend jeans
- lightweight pullover
- sleeveless wool sweater
- oversized chinos
- silk top to wear with a suit (NOT black - ideally white with a print)
A Neiman Marcus Last Call opened in SF on Friday, and I got a few good deals. Zara has been killing it this season, as has Allsaints. Many of these were bought on sale, but it still adds up to more than I usually spend... I don't really need the whole wishlist. Which should I keep?
So, which of these are winners?
- (1-2) Vince cotton pullover (winner!), Robert Rodriguez wool shorts (would I wear them?)
- (3) Zara boyfriend jeans, sized up (winner!)
- (4-6) Allsaints Drina cardigan in cotton
- (7-9) Madewell Sculptor cardigan, heavy wool rib knit. Would be more of a coat than an indoors layer. I love the shape and structure but is it too weird? Too warm for my climate?
- (10-12) Zara denim shirt. Unsure about this. A size down looks better but is too tight in the shoulders.
- (13-14) Two losers? Robert Rodriguez graphic silk top - too bulky and weird. Zara wool wrap overskirt - I had high hopes but it just doesn't work. (I have a cotton tube skirt under it; would get something longer if I keep it.)
- (15) The silk top with my suit. What I really want is a simple shell in that same silk.
- (16) Bonus! Zara cape I'm in love with but didn't buy.
I also have a denim skirt on order that might work, and sleeveless wool sweater possibilities galore. This is the problem with fall - I keep finding so many perfect things that my HEWI detector is on overdrive and I make bad decisions.
Edited to add: I like how you're all calling out your statements & essentials!
Statements: shorts, sculptor cardigan, cape (swoon... but I would be too scared to wear it), silk top if it fit
Essentials: jeans, pullover, probably the allsaints cardigan, denim shirt