I'm traveling a lot this summer (conferences in Dublin and Vienna in July, for starters) and I hope to do a lot of walking. For a 10-day trip, I'll probably bring stylish sneakers, flat ankle boots and/or oxfords, and sandals. But neither of my existing sandals quite do the trick. Both hurt my high instep after a mile or so, and the Dr Martens weigh so much that I don't want to pack them (both are in Finds below).
So, I'm on the hunt for new sandals. I'm really picky, though. They must be:
- wide toe area
- rubber sole and/or some cushioning
- leather, with leather lining
- edgy-minimalist, with clean dramatic lines
- some sort of ankle strap to keep them on
- nothing over my instep bump - edit - it's hard for me to know which straps will be a problem, so I'll consider many possibilities.
I've found two possibilities online: Eileen Fisher and Clarks Originals (see my Finds). Do you think either of these is a boost to my aesthetic, or are they taking minimalist a little too far for me?
If you see anything else that might fit my desires, could you post it here? I'll note that unfortunately, Camper shoes just do. not. fit. no matter how much I want them to.
And, if you think sandals are just not the best use of suitcase space, let me know! I'm never sure what shoes to bring. It never rains in SF so I forget that it's a possibility, for instance!